Monday, May 16, 2011

JobTip – Cover Letters

Q - Why include a cover letter?
A - It helps to introduce you to the read and provides a high level overview of your skills and experience in relation to a specific job or role that you are applying for.

Sounds simple enough, so why do so many people get is so wrong?

I read cover letters every day that are addressed to someone else or refer to a different job.  For me it's a immediate negative mark.

If you are going to include a cover letter with any application make sure that it server a purpose. Don’t just send the same generic cover letter that you send to all prospective employers – i.e
“Dear Sir/Madam

I read with great interest your advertisement for XYZ.

I feel that my skills are a great match for your requirements and attach my Resume for your review.

I look forward to your positive reply….”

Don’t do it. A cover letter such as this will not do you any favours. You are better off not sending a cover letter at all.

If you are going to take the time to actually compose a cover letter here are a few tips:
  • Address the letter to the advertiser. Most adverts include a contact person – address the letter to them
  • If the advertisement includes a number of key requirements – address these in your letter. Respond to the requirements explaining how you meet each criteria
  • Do not copy sections of your Resume into the cover letter
  • Do not be pushy or cheese – lines like “I look forward to your positive response” should be replaced with something a like “I look forward to hearing from you in due course”
  • Do not waffle on about skills and knowledge that is not specifically mentioned in the advert as a requirement. If you want to mention your other skills/experience, keep it brief.
  • Keep it less then 1 page.